Thursday, September 20, 2012

Will The Packers Miss Greg Jennings?

WR Greg Jennings sat out practice on Thursday because he's not over the groin injury he suffered late in the game against the 49ers. The Packers expected to get him back this week. However, I wouldn't rule him out for next Monday night if he can get back to practice by the end of the week.

QB Aaron Rodgers's stats were down last week against the Bears without Jennings, but he also threw 12 fewer passes (44 to 32). Maybe the biggest concern is that WR James Jones, who should receive most of the snaps in his place, occasionally runs poor routes and it led to an interception last Sunday. I don't expect to see either WR Randall Cobb or WR Donald Driver replace Jones because they seem intended to play different roles in the offense. Jones isn't as good as Jennings, so while the offense will be fine without him, they'll only get better once he returns.

As for the Seahawks, I don't expect they'll play differently if Jennings is available or not. The 49ers and Bears played similar styles against the Packers by playing both safeties deep to take away the sideline threats. Until TE Jermichael Finley or Cobb start gashing big gains down the middle of the field, or RB Cedric Benson runs wild against a seven-man front, I expect most defenses will scheme the Packers that way.

1 comment:

PackFaninFl said...

I think Seattle's secondary is up and coming. Trufant is there nickel. I don't see this being easy at all for our wideouts. I think you nailed it with them going to the TE and Cobb early and often.

I don't see us running much either. This is an absolute swarming defense and the running backs will get avalanched quick.

I don't think that Dallas game was a fluke. This team is solid as a rock. (And after Arizona's win at NE, Seattle's loss at AZ isn't looking too bad when you factor in a first time starting rookie QB who at times looked loss).

Oh Brandon, I've decided to take the dive into blogging! Can you add me to your circle of friends? Click on my name and you'll see my blog.

Take Care!