Friday, January 31, 2014

Cobb: Hit that injured my leg "was dirty"

As you probably remember, Packers WR Randall Cobb missed a couple months this season after injuring his leg in the Packers Week 6 win over the Ravens. Now up until now, Cobb hasn't spoken a word about the incident itself, but earlier this week he apparently broke his silence, saying the hit on him was "dirty," although he doesn't believe it was meant to be.

“I think it was dirty,” Cobb said on Wednesday’s edition of Pro Football Talk at the Super Bowl. “But I don’t think it was meant to be dirty.  I think with the new rules in place he was doing the opposite and trying to protect himself from getting a fine and it just caused a low hit.”
Now I gotta say, that statement is very back-and-forth. In my opinion, you can't unintentionally commit a dirty hit, so I find these words from Cobb to be very unclear.

1 comment:

Brandon said...

Late hits and going for another player's legs has been considered a dirty play for so long that I can understand why players may be so back-and-forth when they talk about it. And he's right; the new rules prefer going low instead of high (except for a QB in the pocket; you can't hit them low either). But hits on the knee can lead to long-term injuries too.