Monday, August 05, 2013

The Packers Signed Vince Young?

Apparently all the game film from QB Vince Young's disastrous 2011 season with the Eagles has been destroyed. Now the Green Bay Packers can relive it as they watch his inaccuracy this preseason.
B.J. Coleman had a very bad Saturday night at the Family Night scrimmage, but I didn't realize it was that bad. Or maybe this is the end for Graham Harrell because Young could take his backup job while Coleman could spend another year on the practice squad.

While I hate this signing, unless Harrell and Coleman are just that bad (I haven't watched them yet in 2013), at least Young was once a decent starting QB. Over 21 games (18 starts) in 2009 and 2010, his QBB was a respectable 70.3 and 70.6. Of course, that's only good news if you ignore his turnover filled 2011 season.

On the downside, Young had a mega-feud with his head coach, Jeff Fisher, back in 2010, so he doesn't seem like the type of guy you want in the locker room. For what it's worth, Young apologized this year.

Overall, this hasn't been the best day to be a Packer fan. First they lose their starting left tackle, and now they signed a former (almost) Heisman winner that no NFL team has wanted for over a year. I should feel worse about Bryan Bulaga's injury (he's a starter while Young will be paid to hold a clipboard) but Young's signing feels worse in my stomach. I don't want them to have anything to do with him, even if he makes them a slightly better team.

4 comments:

Jack Niemuth said...

At least now we'll have something to watch during the preseason

Jack Niemuth said...

Also, I'm kinda happy this happened. Young has experience and some potential. I mean, do we really think Harrell or Coleman will ever be a real NFL quarterback? Because we shouldn't. If Rodgers tears his ACL on the first play of the preseason, I'd rather have Young ready off the bench.

Unknown said...

Jack, I've gotta disagree about Young's potential. For one thing, he's no longer young - he's 30.

For a second thing, I remember him with the Eagles, specifically watching this play live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpBQ2VBUOpY

The RB is covered. Young stares him down, tosses him the ball anyway, and the linebacker gets the easiest pick-six of his career. Unforgivable for a QB in his late 20s to throw that ball. That's what I expect with VY coming off the bench - awful awful play like he gave the Eagles. Please give me Graham Harrell instead. :)

NorthStarr said...

Honestly, I don't see Young being ready if Rodgers tears his ACL on the first play of the regular season, let alone the first play of the preseason.

And, while I believe that he'll honestly be given a fair chance, I don't see him making the opening day roster.

I think that Harrell will end up being our backup ... again, and that Coleman will be spending another year on the practice squad.

Performance in the preseason games could change my perspective on all that, but that's how I see it now.

P.S. I'm glad that you're still finding time to write here, Jack. :)